At Townsville Central, free instrumental music tuition is offered for woodwind, brass, percussion and stringed instruments.
Weekly 30 min lessons take place in small groups of up to six students. The lessons are during school time. The lesson timetable is created by the instrumental teacher in consultation with other school staff. Grouping of students is by instrument and ability level.
1. Parent/caregiver completes expression of interest form
2. Child’s class teacher completes a student profile
3. Music teachers complete musical aptitude and physical testing (children hold/blow instruments)
4. Offer of place in program given according to your child’s interest and suitability. Please note that your child may have been suitable for several instruments; however, he/she can only choose one of the instruments offered
We accept specific numbers of each instrument to form balanced ensembles. At Townsville Central, students have the opportunity to participate in a number of ensembles, including:
* Concert band
* Brass and woodwind ensembles
* String orchestra
* String quartet
Students who join the instrumental music program are expected to become members of the school band or string orchestra once they reach the required standard.
As members of an ensemble, students are required to be available for performances. Advance notice is always given so that families can make necessary arrangements.
Year 4 - 6
Woodwind: flute; clarinet; alto saxophone
Brass: trumpet, trombone, euphonium
Percussion: Covers a range of tuned and untuned percussion, including
glockenspiel, snare drum, bass drum
Year 3 - 6
Strings: violin; viola; violoncello*; double bass* (*not first year)
Instrumental music students are strongly
encouraged to join one of our school choirs. Choral singing is an important
aspect of building a strong musicianship foundation. There is no choir
participation fee for instrumental music students.